Today, we released the latest issue of The Domain Name Industry Brief, which shows that the third quarter of 2021 closed with 364.6 million domain name registrations across all top-level domains, a decrease of 2.7 million domain name registrations, or 0.7%, compared to the second quarter of 2021.1,2 Domain name registrations have decreased by 6.1 million, or 1.6%, year over year.1,2
Check out the latest issue of The Domain Name Industry Brief to see domain name stats from the third quarter of 2021, including:
- Top 10 Largest TLDs by Number of Reported Domain Names
- Top 10 Largest ccTLDs by Number of Reported Domain Names
- ngTLDs as Percentage of Total TLDs
- Geographical ngTLDs as Percentage of Total Corresponding Geographical TLD
The Domain Name Industry Brief this quarter also includes an overview of the ongoing community work to mitigate DNS security threats.
- The figure(s) includes domain names in the .tk ccTLD. .tk is a ccTLD that provides free domain names to individuals and businesses. Revenue is generated by monetizing expired domain names. Domain names no longer in use by the registrant or expired are taken back by the registry and the residual traffic is sold to advertising networks. As such, there are no deleted .tk domain names. The .tk zone reflected here is based on data from Q4 2020, which is the most recent data available. https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20131216006048/en/Freenom-Closes-3M-Series-Funding#.UxeUGNJDv9s.
- The generic TLD, ngTLD and ccTLD data cited in the brief: (i) includes ccTLD Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs), (ii) is an estimate as of the time this brief was developed and (iii) is subject to change as more complete data is received. Some numbers in the brief may reflect standard rounding.